10 Things You Can Learn from Billy Elliot the Musical
As we begin the New Year, here are 10 things that you can learn from Billy Elliot to inspire you in 2016.
1. Don’t let anything get in the way of you running after your dreams.
‘And suddenly I’m flying, flying like a bird
Like electricity, electricity
Sparks inside of me
And I’m free I’m free’
2. Always remember to stay true to yourself.
‘The world’s grey enough without making it worse
What we need is individuality’
3. Where you are born does not define your future.
‘He could be a star for all we know
We don’t know how far he could go
And no one else can give what I can give’
4. Accept others for who they are and never stop them from chasing their dreams.
‘You get right behind your bairn. Understand?’
5. We aren’t all born with the skills but we are born with the potential.
‘They’re not looking for something fully formed that’s leapt from the brow of Zeus, they’re looking for potential, Billy. ‘
6. But potential doesn’t mean anything if you don’t do something with it.
‘I don’t think I’ve got time. I mean, when would I play out and that?’
‘Look, Billy, if you want to stick round here and piss about with your little mates, that’s fine with me.’
7. Never miss a chance to dance.
‘We weren’t born to stand still
Ain’t a question of will
Gotta move – it’s a fact
We were born to react’
8. Alone we can do less, together we can do so much more.
‘We will always stand together
In the dark, right through the storm
We will stand, shoulder to shoulder
To keep us warm.’
9. No act of kindness however small is ever wasted.
‘Take this and this.
And this and this
And this and this
And this and this.
Don’t worry, lad, we’ll never
Let you fall.’
10. Effort will release its reward only after you refuse to quit.
‘He got in man! He got in!’
Book & Lyrics – Lee Hall